Author Topic: New strings?  (Read 4961 times)

Ed Minas

• View Profile
New strings?
« on: November 20, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
I am restringing my wife’s chain guard on her 1897 safety.   I just bought a new Stutzmans wheel shop bent wood chain guard.   I need recommendations on the best period looking string to use to restring it.
Thank you in advance.

phattiremike

• View Profile
Re: New strings?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »
Can you share Stutzman's phone # please I need a chainguard for an Elliot Hickory. 

Thank you

Ed Minas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
330-897-1391

Wayne Batten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
      Ed,  Years ago I had to replace the string on a ladies saftey. Way before computers. I used braided fishing line. It was available in many colors. I found one that was tan with a repeating pattern. It looked good when completed. You can also create your own pattern of lacing if you do not have an original one that you need to copy.

Wayne

Ed Minas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
Thanks Wayne, I will investigate your suggestions.

Dick Rath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
Ed,   

My suggestion is to use nylon parachute cordage which is available at a variety crafts stores.  I have purchased it at both " Hobby Lobby" and "Michaels" but I'm sure it can be found at other retail outlets.  You can also find the small brass eyelets you'll need at these outlets.  For the parachute cordage I uses the thinnest diameter of the 2 sizes available which is approximately 1/6" or just  very slightly larger.   While it is available in a few different colors, none of which accurately replicate the original cordage used around the turn of the century which I believe was linen, I settled on the white variety which I then dye to suit my taste by soaking the cordage in a pot of either hot tea or coffee.  I find the tea method a bit easier and less messy since all you need is a half dozen teabags and a pot of boiling water.  I let the cordage soak for a half hour and then remove it and let it dry overnight.  I would disagree with using fishing line as it is much thinner than what was originally found on these ladies bicycles.  I've seen so many nice restorations of these ladies pneumatic safeties at shows, and even at museums, that miss perfection by using the wrong cordage on the rear fender skirt guarding as well as on the bike's chain-guard. 

Ed Minas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:50:31 PM »
Wow Dick that is super helpful.  Thank you for all suggestions I really appreciate it.

Bjd.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
Search eBay under " bakers twine" for any color very strong twine that ties easily, is the right diameter, and looks very nice. Many ways to string a fender guard and chain guard. Most early bikes had some very elaborate knots, related to fishing nets, to tie off the strings. Most bakers twine is cotton, which makes it mostly period correct.

Ed Minas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 03:56:24 PM »
Thanks Bill.  That is very help.  I appreciate your knowledge and input.