Author Topic: Be nice.  (Read 3002 times)

AlanPonder

• View Profile
Be nice.
« on: September 05, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
At one of our recent parades, I was reminded about how much Jim Spillane was doing to try to push this hobby into the next generation. There was a young man there riding one of the "bumpys" Jim built. i was told they were passed around from child to child as the kids grew. Nobody had to buy them. He just loaned them out. That's just one of the many things I've heard about Jim that impressed me. I wish I had known him. I think we would have gotten along wonderfully.

When i first joined this club, it was very difficult for me to find someone who would even consider selling me a bike. My wanted ad was up on the previous website for nearly a year before I finally got a high wheel if I remember correctly. It may have been longer. I know there have been discussions about this topic but the truth is, if we want this club to continue, we have to take new members under our wing and help them, and try or best to get our next generation interested in what we enjoy.

One last comment. If you have a bike in your collection that you haven't either ridden, or taken somewhere to display in the last 10 years, consider passing it on to someone who actually wants to ride it. I'm not saying give it to them. I've yet to see a Wheelman that had to be concerned about where their next meal came from. Be fair. Be nice.

Bjd.

• View Profile
Re: Be nice.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:13:19 AM »
Sometimes people/new wheelmen make it pretty hard! I tried twice to sell a complete rideable rare size pneumatic safety for about half what it would have brought on eBay, and buyers acted like I was trying to gouge them, rob them blind! It has a rare hub on it that is worth half what I was asking, and I tried to explain that but was ignored! I took it off the market! They need to educate themselves a good bit about bike brands, quality of brands, rarity, values etc! I have about thirty bikes, including high wheels, high wheel trike, hard and cushion tire safeties, pneumatics and a good bit of memorabilia! I try to rotate my display bikes, and demo bikes, and I can haul up to six in my trailer without any dis-assembly. I try to share my bikes if someone needs one at a meet. Bill Dizer

AlanPonder

• View Profile
Re: Be nice.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
I agree Bill. Many of the newer members don't understand the value of some of the rarer items. Fortunately we have the Copake Auction and ebay to reference them to. I myself have paid too much for some, gotten good deals on others, and fair deals on others. it usually all balances out in the end.

We do have some 2nd and 3rd generation families in our club. Thats whats wonderful to see in my opinion. i hope it can continue. My oldest son has been doing our 10 mile tours, but is scared of high wheels. He seems to be happy on a safety though. I have a 3 yr old grand daughter that I'm hoping will show some interest in a couple of years. My youngest son came to his first parade over the weekend. He enjoyed it. Maybe....just maybe.....