Author Topic: early hingehead safety  (Read 3064 times)

NVHIWHEEL

• View Profile
early hingehead safety
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
Still trying to identify my hingehead cushion tire safety. Research revealed a Union that is very similar? Can anyone add more info?

Also have a mint Rutgers headbadge, but haven't found any info about Rutgers bicycles. Again, any info is appreciated.

Keith Pariani

• View Profile
Re: early hingehead safety
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
Looking at a 1892 Union catalog,  The Union # 10 is a close match. But, there are some differences at the hinged head and the rear stays.
Phil Saunders purchased a Union at Copake 2 years ago. His is similar to yours, not sure of the year.
The name plate is on the down tube below the hinged head.
Maybe you could contact him

NVHIWHEEL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:42 PM »
Thank you. Your observation of the differences matches what I had determined from a photo I found on line. The photo shows a hard tire safety, a slight change in the head design and a short articulated section on the rear stays.
Mine is a cushion tire with 1 1/4" rubber tires, and the rear stays are solid as you observed.
Thank you for the response.

Bjd.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 10:45:44 PM »
It appears to be a his or her bike, with the removable top brace. Appears to have had a chain guard and rear fender for the ladies. Kirkpatrick saddle, can't tell if it is the long or short version. 1890 or later, curved front forks generally started then, with a few exceptions, tangential spokes with rim nipples rather than radial. Might check a Rouse Hazzard catalog. By that time the pneumatics were gaining in popularity, and the hinge fork system was going away except in low price bikes. Cushion tire was an effort to stave off the pneumatic bikes as well. I have three cushion tires, 1889 Warwick Perfection convertible, 1890 Coventry machinist Union Swift, and a Columbia camel back, 1889-90.

NVHIWHEEL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
I did contact Phil Sunders and Colin Kirst who sent me many pics of a Union bicycle similar to mine. I believe mine is a couple of years newer with a refined frame and being a cushion tire. Restoration on going but having trouble finding someone to help with making spokes  to replace those missing.

See link to the Union now in England.

https://oldbike.eu/1890-union-cycle-mfg-co-convertible-safety