Author Topic: Welcome to the New Wheelmen message board  (Read 38944 times)

Carey Williams

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to the New Wheelmen message board
« on: June 27, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
Hello all

Very sorry for all the technical troubles that we were having with the old message board ... long live the new message board ! 
We now have a 3rd category    for reproduction and bike builders . 
 Look forward to seeing everyone at the up coming national Wheelmen meet in Oberlin .
Cheers Carey

Ride the High Country

• View Profile
Re: Welcome to the New Wheelmen message board
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
Although it is splendid to see that there is again a functional Wheelmen forum, I must ask what will become of the many years’ worth of extremely valuable discussions on the old forum? Surely they can at least be put up as an archive for reference, even if the content can not be merged into this new forum.

I hope that this will be given some consideration.

Users of the old forum should note that they will have to re-register for this new forum.

Also, one must now enter “captcha” verification letters when registering, and when posting messages. The letters in these particular images are quite difficult to discern, but one can click a link to hear the letters stated by a computerised voice.

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
We are certainly going to look into a way to get the information from the previous forum set up some how. Not sure on how to go about that yet. But we are looking into it.

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Use the attachment button to add photos!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 05:35:52 PM by Admin »

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
seems there is photo file size limit, if your attaching attempt doesn't work use smaller file

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 02:28:29 AM »
I just looked at the setting for attachments and it was very small. 128 K per item and 198 K total per post. I upped it to 200 K per attachment and 1000 K per post. So now one can attach 5 200 k pix to one post. how does that sound to everyone?

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 02:33:02 AM »
We have the password set to the highest level to protect them from being hacked.

The password must be at least eight characters long, and can not be part of a users name or email address.
The password must also contain a mixture of upper and lower case letters, and at least one number.

slcurts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
I believe the password requires at least 2 upper case, 2 lower case, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters. I tried all that except with only 1 special character and it rejected it. It would be helpful if the requirements were listed on the registration page, as right now it just rejects you without really any explanation.

rusty_apache

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
Thank you Mr. Williams for the hard work of setting up a more user friendly site. I wasn’t stopping by anymore because it was always error 404.

Reid Mueller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
I just looked at the setting for attachments and it was very small. 128 K per item and 198 K total per post. I upped it to 200 K per attachment and 1000 K per post. So now one can attach 5 200 k pix to one post. how does that sound to everyone?

With the newer higher resolution cameras we could blow through that setting with one picture.  The other alternative is for people to say hi-res pictures to a lower resolution.

Reid Mueller
Reid Mueller
Northern VA
1888 Singer 54"
1885 Columbia 52"
1888 G&J 52"
2013 Victory 54"

David Toppin

• View Profile
I just tried to post a picture
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
Are we really going to have to type in Captcha letters and Wheel each time we want to post a message!?  And we're limited to 1000K?  Nobody is going to go through the painful process of reducing their picture size AND trying to read an illegible Captcha just to put up a message, and then when it doesn't let you post a picture because it is too large it won't let you post another message for three minutes?!  I'm not generally one to complain but......

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 12:24:22 PM »
I have removed the image size restrictions and the number of images per post restriction. I will just need to watch to see how fast the web site is growing so that we do not run out of space.

I am still looking for the setting that has to do with re entering the security stuff. Not sure where that setting is.

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
Test photo upload. My Andrae before I started working on it.

Mark W. Scherer (Admin)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
Test photo upload. My Andrae before I started working on it.

@ Dave Toppin, I just uploaded this very large photo file and had no issues, and did not have to re-enter the security stuff. Give it a try now. Make sure when you log in that you set the log in time high.

Craig Allen

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
We have the password set to the highest level to protect them from being hacked.

The password must be at least eight characters long, and can not be part of a users name or email address.
The password must also contain a mixture of upper and lower case letters, and at least one number.

Is there a reason why the password has to be set at a high level of security for a bicycle forum? It isn't a situation where people are disclosing sensitive information such as social security numbers, credit card numbers, or medical information. If this site isn't user friendly, I can't see where it will be a success.