Author Topic: Greentyres- will they stretch over a 30" rim?  (Read 4270 times)

andrew gorman

• View Profile
Greentyres- will they stretch over a 30" rim?
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
I  couldn't track down the old threads on greentyres, but I am getting closer to getting a cushion tire safety back on the road.  It has 30" rims and does anyone have experience in stretching a 28" greentyre over a 30" rim?  I know they have internal cords which might make this impossible and I would have to splice in a section.  the 26" actually have a better profile.  I just want to pin this down before  I order them from the UK.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:45:34 AM by andrew gorman »

David Brown

• View Profile
Re: Greentyres- will they stretch over a 30" rim?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
I don't think they will stretch on to the 30 inch rims I have  pair that I got some time ago and could not get them on the wood rims i wanted to put them on.  If you are interested in them get back to me .  They are 28 inch and if you are going to splice them on, the pair would work for one rim.

Bjd.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:54 AM »
Is there a reason not to use regular hts or high wheel wire on tires? I have two cushion tire bikes with wire on tires. They ride well.

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
Greg Barron has the wire-on tire stock in the correct size/diameter for your application. check his web page for more information: http://www.hiwheel.com/parts/index.htm
If you want to use wire on rubber, I'd call Greg and discuss your project for his sage wisdom and advice.

andrew gorman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the information! The rims and remaining tire on this bike are too wide for the wire-on tires,  from memory a little over 2" wide.  The Greentyres  seem to be the only solid tires that are not way too soft.

Giovanni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:26:13 PM »
Have you considered stretching Robert Dean 28” x 1-3/4” smooth tread tires?

Greg Barron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »
I do have solid material up to 1 1/2" wide at this point that can be wired down. It's heavy but it works.

Greg