Author Topic: Pair of Man's and Woman's Columbia Bevel Gear Shaft Drive Bicycles  (Read 4087 times)

mike cates

• View Profile
Pair of Man's and Woman's Columbia Bevel Gear Shaft Drive Bicycles
« on: September 28, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
I have FOR SALE what I call a "matched pair" of Columbia  Bevel Gear Shaft Drive bicycles: 1901 Woman's and 1902 Man's. The 1901 Woman's is a Model 75 and the 1902 Man's is a Model 81.
According to the original Columbia 1901 and 1902 catalogs, there were no design changes or improvements from 1901 onwards to the 1902 bevel geared models so both years were virtually the same bicycle. They could be as far apart as two years (Jan 1, 1901 to Dec 31, 1902) or as close as one day apart (Dec 31, 1901 to Jan 1, 1902) in their manufacturing dates.
They are ready for a modern day Wheelmen couple, parent and child, etc to hit the bike path with!
To a collector here is what Columbia offered in this era.
These are older restorations (pardon the dust from hanging in the building for some years) and are fitted with white Universal 28" tires, NOS 28" wooden rims laced with NOS Columbia ball end spokes, recovered leather saddles, black automotive paint on frames and nickel plating on correct parts. Some of the man's model photos show missing hand grips and I have these to go with it but weren't on the bike when photos were taken. The nickel plating will hand polish up fine.
I haven't seen a pair of bicycles like this offered at Copake Antique Bicycle Auction 2020.
This pair is $7000 FIRM plus shipping. I can box in heavy cardboard electric bicycle boxes and break down of handlebars and removal of pedals is mandatory to properly pack and ship these.
I ship world wide and local pick up is fine.
Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201 Voice calls ONLY and NO TEXTS PLEASE
You can also email me at: cates0321@hotmail.com
I WILL TAKE A GOOD FAITH NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT AND WORK OUT A PAYMENT SCHEDULE WITH YOU AS I DO ON A LOT OF ANTIQUE BICYCLES I AM SELLING TO MAKE THINGS EASIER FOR YOU TO OWN THESE BEAUTIES.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:35:56 PM by mike cates »

DelombardR

• View Profile
Re: Hate to see this happen at auction or anywhere else
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 09:44:53 PM »
I'm confused, Mike.
This blow-up shows 75.

58inchwheel

• View Profile
Re: Pair of Man's and Woman's Columbia Bevel Gear Shaft Drive Bicycles
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Richard, The Mans is a model 81 and the ladies is a model 75. Looks correct to me as advertised.
Brian Austin

mike cates

• View Profile
Re: Pair of Man's and Woman's Columbia Bevel Gear Shaft Drive Bicycles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 05:36:19 PM »
bump