Author Topic: Copake Lot 101a 1889 Columbia Ladies HTS  (Read 1780 times)

mike cates

• View Profile
Copake Lot 101a 1889 Columbia Ladies HTS
« on: April 17, 2019, 02:24:00 AM »
From consulting Columbia catalogs for 1889, 1890, 1891,and 1892, no ladies model was made by Columbia in 1889. All safety models that year were considered for men.
Copake Lot 101a should have been corrected to the year 1891 as this year model had parallel drop frame tubes that spread apart slightly as they went forward and joined the longer improved steering head tube of that year like the bicycle in the auction.
In 1891 the seat post bend and crank arms for 3 pedal throw positions would be correct as shown on the auction bicycle but it is hard to see if they are the 3 pedal throw positions crank arms from the auction photos.
As a side note, in 1892 the ladies model had an identical frame design but had 2 pedal throw positions on the crank arms and the crank arms were more tapered and rounded on the shanks.
The earlier 1890 (first year) ladies model had drop frame tubes that stayed spaced evenly and ran parallel from the shorter steering head tube to the seat post tube.
The auction bicycle is still a rare ladies machine and I was just wanting to clarify dating for it's new owner.
I'm restoring a original 1890 (first year) Columbia ladies hard tire model for my wife to ride. I'm simultaneously restoring a 1891 Columbia hard tire double diamond frame machine as well so we will have a pair to ride together. Both models have the scissors front fork suspension.
Mike Cates, CA.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:51:26 AM by mike cates »