Author Topic: Kettering 1977 Holiday at Home with Wheelmen riders  (Read 2499 times)

DelombardR

• View Profile
Kettering 1977 Holiday at Home with Wheelmen riders
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Kettering, Ohio (near Dayton) continues their Holiday at Home festival around Labor Day. Back in 1977, I raced my modern bike in the big bicycle race conducted after the festival parade. That year, I took some snapshots of Wheelmen riding in the parade and only recently re-found the photos.

Bob Menker filled in some names for me since I wasn't involved with the Wheelmen back then. 
First photo here is a group photo of most of the riders.
Second photo is Clair Duckham.
Third photo is Judy and Julian Zwolski on their tandem tricycle.
Fourth photo is Tom Zwolski on an Extraordinary.
Fifth photo is of a man that Bob did not recognize.

Does anyone recognize that man in the last photo or the others in the group photo?

Brad Drexler

• View Profile
Re: Kettering 1977 Holiday at Home with Wheelmen riders
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:19:48 PM »
Great pictures Dick.
 A couple of weeks ago an elderly couple wandered into my nursery. He handed me his card and told me he was a retired building architect and once had a nursery himself. They wanted to look at Camellias and as we cruised out to the field he talked about the importance of staying physically active. He gave credit to his life long passion to cycling and how lucky he was to grow up in a cycling family. He then mentioned that his dad rode the old highwheel bicycles for years. It then hit me the name on the card. I stopped the buggy, looked at him and said "your dad's name is Clair". Oh the shocked look he had. I delivered 9 large Camellias to their winter residence and spent hours hearing the stories of the good old days of the Ohio Wheelmen. Dan Duckham, winters in Deland and summers in Cashiers NC. Still has the old homestead in Dayton.

DelombardR

• View Profile
Re: Kettering 1977 Holiday at Home with Wheelmen riders
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Wow!

A few years back, I contacted the Chamber of Commerce in. nearby town to enter their parade.  After describing who we were and what we ride, she replied "I used to ride those!"  A daughter of a long-time Wheelmen from Wisconsin (if I recall right).