Author Topic: Looking for someone to install new tire on tricycle  (Read 6607 times)

gwill65074

• View Profile
Looking for someone to install new tire on tricycle
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Good afternoon, I have my father's and his cousin's Garton Badger tricycle from the mid '30s and the front tire is gone. The rest of the trike is in good shape and I'd like to see if anyone here does new tire installation?

AlanPonder

• View Profile
Re: Looking for someone to install new tire on tricycle
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
This is a different style tiring than what is used on high wheel bikes. There are companies that make them. Just have to look for them. Will send you some info through message.

gwill65074

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
Thank you. The guys at CABE have told me these are the type of tires that were used on this manufacturers tricycles and suggested that someone here might be able to help.
Glen Williams

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 10:17:36 PM »
these tires were used prior to the war but continued into the early 1950. Here is an example for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swan-Deluxe-14-x-1-75-Tricycle-Trike-Wagon-Solid-Rubber-Tire-Vintage-NOS-/123296284966

Craig Allen

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
What size wheel do you have and what size tire do you need?
 I might be able to install it for you.

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
these tires are labeled by their outside diameter, not the size of the rim. (If using a premade semi-pneumatic tire it is installed by soaking it in very hot water.) The original tire style can be replaced with a wire core tire just like replacing a tire on a highwheel using the tire rubber of the size that best fits the rim (Greg Barron sells most sizes.)
Tony :)

Craig Allen

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
That's what I am talking about. I have some large diameter rubber here for wire attaching.  Thank you.

Greg Barron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
Hey Tony,

Good find on the replacement tire. Those went out of production for the general bike market a while back and if the one you showed from eBay is being made then someone took it up again and had tire molds made. Memory Lane classics used to sell them regularly but last I heard had lost their source and ran out of stock. Though it's a chance worth taking to call them. I've been putting 1 1/2 round on trikes for people lately though.

Greg

gwill65074

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »
Thanks everyone. There is no tire on the front, so how would I measure to find out what size tire I need?

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
I think the tire diameters went in increments. So the smallest was 10", then 12", then jumped to 16" then to 20". I think a good rough measurement to chose a tire size is to measure the remaining rim diameter and then add 3" and judge if that process yields a 10', 12" 16" or 20" size. Of course using a wire on tire is easier. I can install a wire on if you send me the wheel.

gwill65074

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
Thank you, I'll try to get it measured this afternoon. I may take you up on your offer. Glen

Greg Barron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:20 PM »
Round rubber tire will fit that perfectly. I have done a couple trikes like that. Get me the rim width and I can make a suggestion to the size you need.

Greg Barron
RBR Inc
gbarron@hiwheel.com