Author Topic: Thistle bicycle decal photo needed  (Read 2473 times)

atorpey1

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thistle bicycle decal photo needed
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:16:49 AM »
Tillie Anderson, one of the most iconic women racers of all time.  Tillie raced on the road and track from 1896 through 1902, entering 130 races and winning all but 7. 

We are helping the Frazier History Museum prepare for an exhibit and reenactment of Tillie, and would like to get a photo of the head tube decal to "recreate" if possible.

James Allen has loaned the Frazier his 1897 or 1898 Thistle bicycle, which he partially restored.  Sadly, the head tube decal is missing.  We have found a fuzzy photograph of the decal on line, but need a clearer image.

Please check your collection of antique bicycles and take a photo of your Thistle head tube decal.

Thanks for the assistance, Alison and Carson Torpey
gogreenlouisville@yahoo.com

Bjd.

• View Profile
Re: Thistle bicycle decal photo needed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 03:48:39 AM »
The late James McKensie was a collector of lady bike racing information, and it might be that Susan might have some information in his files.

mike cates

• View Profile
Re: Thistle bicycle decal photo needed
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 11:59:31 PM »
In the mass of antique bicycle catalogs I am currently selling there are both the 1895 and 1897 advanced and regular catalog showing mans, ladies, mans-mans and mans-ladies tandems of the Thistle brand.
There are no head badge shots in the catalogs but both covers show a flowering design with thistles within the flowers.
Both catalogs for $200 and are rare as a lot of my catalogs that I am selling are a mix of well known brands and also the obscure brands.

Anyone looking for original catalogs for their bicycles should contact me and I can email you a PDF of all the catalogs I have listed so far as I go through this mountain of amazing paper.

Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201
cates0321@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:02:41 AM by mike cates »