Author Topic: Antique bicycle dreams  (Read 2630 times)

Craig Allen

Antique bicycle dreams
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
Does anyone ever have dreams about antique bicycles? Ever since I joined the Wheelmen back in '84, I've had this recurring dream/nightmare where I'm at some Wheelmen event and everyone is having a great time except of course me. Everyone is mounting their bikes and riding off but I'm left behind frantically trying to get my bike ready to ride. The more work that is done to it the worse it gets until eventually there is nothing left of the bike except an oil stain on the concrete.
 Well, on the Friday evening at the Oberlin meet this past summer a number of Wheelmen were congregated in front of the dorm ready to ride the two or three blocks downtown to do the public demonstration and I came out with my G&J American Light Champion and not dressed in my Wheelmen uniform. Randy Oleynik then asked me "Where are you going?" I replied,  "I'm going downtown. Don't worry I'm not participating, I'll just stay on the sidewalk". On the way down,  the rear tire on my bike snapped off. I  thought, well so much for that, no OHWT ride tomorrow. As I was walking back to the dorm, the thought occurred to me that I have all the tools with me to repair the wheel having just done a demo on mounting tires, so I started running. My truck was all packed up ready to leave so I pulled everything back out and remounted the tire in the parking lot, loaded everything back in the truck, ran back to the dorm and up the stairs to the third floor. I got cleaned up real quick, put on my uniform, ran back downstairs, hopped on my bike for a quick ride of a block or two, just in time when everyone started to leave for the demo. From the time the tire broke off until I got back downtown it was just a half hour later. And you know what, I haven't had that dream ever since!

55inchwheel

• View Profile
Re: Antique bicycle dreams
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »
Great story Craig. Now my mental picture of you is of a much younger man than I thought you were! That sprinting up and down stairs would have done me in, I'm 73 years young with a Afib, so I'm left behind often, I must pace myself in attempt to keep up with my kids.  Good to hear you obliterated your nightmare!

robike

• View Profile
Re: Antique bicycle dreams
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
I was there, and I was astounded to see him so soon.  A testament to his abilities!