Author Topic: be very careful when buying from an eBay seller  (Read 3189 times)

55inchwheel

• View Profile
be very careful when buying from an eBay seller
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:55:00 PM »
I just learned the hard way, when you make an eBay purchase from a seller who collects sales tax, eBay won't refund the sales tax portion of the purchase when you have a 'return'. The eBay supervisor I spoke with told me the sales tax is collected for the state and they (eBay) can't return it to the purchaser.  Usually this isn't a large amount of money, but it could be huge on a collectible/rare bicycle. I'm going to avoid any seller who charges/collects sales tax.  :(

Wayne Batten

• View Profile
Re: be very careful when buying from an eBay seller
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Be prepared to pay sales tax when a company has a physical location in the state you live in.Not all states may be on board to this yet but it is coming. Many states are going to crack down on the small ebay sellers also. I live in N.J., deal with a company in Maine and have to supply them with a tax exemption form.

Bjd.

• View Profile
Re: be very careful when buying from an eBay seller
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:39:04 PM »
Many states are now requiring sales tax collection by all online sellers, no choice given! Also, most states have laws requiring you to report and pay sales tax on out of state purchases from businesses- don't know about between private individuals. Indiana has started this out of state collection.

55inchwheel

• View Profile
be very careful when buying from an eBay seller
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
maybe I didn't make my point very clear.  My point isn't about paying sales tax, we all have heard about this coming to online transactions for a long time now.

My point is about the sales tax paid: you can't get it back!  Unlike when you buy something at the hardware store down the road or at the building supply store across town; When you 'return for refund' those items you get both the merchandise price AND the sales tax refunded. With an eBay purchase refund, you get ONLY the merchandise amount refunded, NOT the sales tax. Once it is collected by eBay you'll never see it again.

I'm in the process of protesting directly to eBay this unfair policy. We'll see what happens.  I'll post here the contact information if you want to join me in this protest.