Author Topic: WANTED: Spoke manufacturer for 55" Front Wheel  (Read 3046 times)

Vertin

• View Profile
WANTED: Spoke manufacturer for 55" Front Wheel
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
I need to replace a broken spoke on my "1881" High Wheel Bicycle front wheel. So besides finding someone that can fabricate a new spoke I will need the tool to remove the rubber from the front tire...any help would be appreciated! Thx

Some basic info:
The front wheel is approx 55" in diameter
There are 60 spokes total but I only need one!
The spokes are approx 25" long & threaded on the hub end
The bicycle is located in Hermosa Beach, CA

slcurts

• View Profile
Re: WANTED: Spoke manufacturer for 55" Front Wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
I don't know about the spokes, but I needed to replace the nipples on my wheel and straighten the rim and was able to just pop the rubber off with an ordinary tire iron, and put it back the same way. It's putting new rubber on that's hard. I'm going to guess that someone will jump in here and say I shouldn't be able to do that, but I was.

Stan

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 01:22:34 AM »
If you call or email me I can help get you information for replacement of the one spoke.
Mike Cates, Carlsbad, CA.
(760) 473-6201 Calls ONLY and NO TEXTS
cates0321@hotmail.com

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
for a good spoke source I would consider Greg Barron at http://www.hiwheel.com/.
for a tool to remove the tire there isn't anything made specifically for this, use whatever you have such as a tire tool for a modern bicycle. If you remove and reinstall your tire without tightening the wire inside, your tire is probably now too loose, I'd be careful riding it in this condition. Greg Barron can supply you with a new tire and new wire and also he has the wire puller for sale.  If you don't want to buy the wire puller, I have one I will gladly loan you, it has been used successfully many times. (you can even copy it to have your very own!)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:32:21 AM by 55inchwheel »

DelombardR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:58:35 PM »
As for being able to roll the tire off the rim, think about going around a sharp corner with some speed. The pavement is trying to roll the tire off the rim while you're turning.