Author Topic: Wheelmen recreate machines AND outfits  (Read 4989 times)

DelombardR

• View Profile
Wheelmen recreate machines AND outfits
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:46:37 AM »
For official Wheelmen events, let's dress the part as well as riding antique bicycles (or accurate repros). 

The Handbook does allow discretion during a century ride for the rider's comfort and safety in terms of outfit. 

But for OHWT / OAST rides, proper attire should be worn.  Members without appropriate attire should ride at the back of the column and not mix up with folks in appropriate attire.

I know that my outfit is not tailored nor perfect but is not a modern jersey or blue jeans. 
For some parades with known hazards or OHWT rides in unknown territory, I've been known to use a modern helmet for my personal safety.

AlanPonder

• View Profile
Re: Wheelmen recreate machines AND outfits
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
It is possible to use attire close to what should be worn even in hot weather. But truthfully, I don't see how some of these women can put up with long sleeves and thick dresses in the summer. I feel for them.

Just a reminder though that each state does have a suggested uniform. It does look better when everyone dresses the same.

rusty_apache

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:04:16 PM »
I’m about to begin adventures in sewing since I have had no luck in commissioning one. So far I have only used my 1908 Singer patcher for leather seat covers and I have also made pillows and curtains so this is definitely out of my comfort zone! I have the patterns, fabrics and three sets of buttons, one being original. Being in Texas, they will not have liners. It may seem counterintuitive but long sleeves do keep the sun off your arms. The first one will be grey, and If it turns out the next one will be blue. It’s a light blue so as to absorb less heat.
I have also wondered why few Wheelmen take advantage of the array of period eyewear on eBay. They are better quality, usually rolled gold and less expensive than modetn frames.

Craig Allen

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »
Check out Historical Emporium for authentic 19th century  period clothing.
www.historicalemporium.com

DelombardR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
The old glasses I bought at an antique shop several years for 'looks' turned out to be a better bifocal prescription than my (years old) regular glasses!

AlanPonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »
Here in CT, our necktie color is supposed to be yellow. i've been searching the links that are listed, Amazon, and ebay trying to find ties like you guys use that are yellow. I just can't find yellow. Red, black, etc, but not yellow. can soemone tell me what has to be done to change our state's uniform? If we can't find them, then we need to change to something that's available. Or if someone has a link to one, it would be appreciated.

Bjd.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:25 PM »
June has redone the costume bulletin, and the state uniform guide. The bulletin has a pattern to make ties, pretty simple to sew. All we have to do is get the powers at be to actually update the current listings. She had them done  before the national meet.

rusty_apache

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 11:13:40 AM »
Check out Historical Emporium for authentic 19th century  period clothing.
www.historicalemporium.com
They have great stuff there, i have several outfits from their online store. They just don’t make it in my states color They carry frontier classics brand which can also be found on eBay. Wah maker is another brand that can be found used on ebay.