Author Topic: Aurelia boy's high wheel bicycle  (Read 3684 times)

DelombardR

• View Profile
Aurelia boy's high wheel bicycle
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »
I added another high wheel to the stable yesterday.  A lonely Aurelia (Italian) boy's high wheel was looking for a good home at a auction show yesterday.  I accomplished some cleaning and readjustments today but have some questions for those who are familiar with them.

TIRES! 
Rear: Has anyone had to replace the back tire? If so, where did you find one?  As you can see from the photo, the rear tire is broken. It is not wired on but rather is a 'donut' with the inner edge a square shape to fit in the rim. I'm thinking of lightly wiring it on OR putting on a 7/8" rubber for now to get it going. 
Front: 22 x 1-1/2" pneumatic -  Has anyone replaced the front tire and/or the tube?  This tire and tube are working pretty well for now.

The front wheel 'bearings' were 'tight' so I took it apart and cleaned the nylon sleeve pieces. Clamping back together and the wheel still was sluggish. I ended up adding a washer at each of the four bolts holding the bearing pieces together. This loosened the clamping force on the nylon sleeves. Now, the wheel turns with 'reasonable' drag.

Above the back wheel are two 'flanges' for clamping something on the front of the back fork. Any ideas what they are for?

The rear wheel spoking is rather simple.  Looks like the spoke were simply 'pushed' through the rim.
It even has a cool (albeit plastic) tool kit.- empty, but cool.

Another suggestions or hints are welcome.

By the way, this is NOT replacing my 56" Expert. I have some grandkids about the size for this.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:06:41 PM by DelombardR »

Keith Pariani

• View Profile
Re: Aurelia boy's high wheel bicycle
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
As far as the rear tire, try Tractor Supply. They have a foam donut tire that should work. You have to buy the entire wheel that includes the tire, but it's under $20.00

Kurt S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
I had found a seller a while back that has on ebay some tires that might work.  Has some of those smaller sizes in Black.

the attached chart is some of what he has , look at the "fit Rim O.D. " column,  see if they fit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=abigjoy

Black 8.5/14/16/20/24/26" Bike Solid Tires Electric Bicycle Tubeless Tyre

58inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 01:21:39 AM »
Might look at Northerntool.com site. Several solid tires available under flat free spoked wheels. Not sure of the size you need but smallest I saw was 8”
Brian Austin

DelombardR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Thanks for the leads, folks.
I should have posted the dimensions up front, but I suppose I was hoping someone would say "Order this part number from THIS STORE."

Tire diameter is 9.25" and inner diameter is 7".  A bit odd-sized based on what I saw in stores or in the items cited here.

My plan now is to put 7/8" tiring on in two steps.
  • With very little wire tension, install rubber tiring with length about two inches short.
  • Slide a short length of tiring in to plug the gap. The tiring will be slit to slide over the wire and some rubber cement will help hold it in. The slit will not be on top nor inside, but to one side and will be spiral sliced a wee bit. 
This tire will be little-used by light-weight young Wheelmen.