Author Topic: Has anyone built an Eagle?  (Read 9877 times)

AlanPonder

• View Profile
Has anyone built an Eagle?
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience building an Eagle, or a Star. A Star would understandably be more complicated. But an Eagle may be a bit less complicated. It wouldn't be too hard to find a larger wheel, with crank arms and pedals. Smaller front wheel could be attained also. It's the frame that would have to be built, bars, and the steering designed. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jeff Kidder

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone built an Eagle?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
Craig Allen made an Eagle replica: Search "Eagle highwheel bicycle for sale" on CABE Message Board https://thecabe.com/forum/ to see photos of it.

Classic Cycle Bainbridge website has a Museum tab on their website http://classiccycleus.com/home/. They have a replica Star.

Bjd.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
Spillanes made many, and Kennedy also. Spillane made 50" and 52" models, not sure what size the Kennedy bike were. Not sure if Woodward made any/many. But yes, there are quite a few replicas out there.

Brad Drexler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
Victory made two of them

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:50:32 PM »
Gary Woodward made at least 3 of them that are very close to an original machine. They are shown in Don Adam's book Collecting and Restoring Antique Bicycles.
Mike Cates, CA.

BrianBirkner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »
Lowell Kennedy also built Eagle replicas.

BrianBirkner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 12:49:56 AM »
Here are some photos of a Kennedy Eagle.

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:19:13 AM »
Brian,
Thanks  for posting photos of the Kennedy Eagle.
Mike Cates, CA.

Jwoodwardnh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
My dad, Gary Woodward, built 3 reproduction Eagles - 2 52” and 1 48”.  I rode the 52” for many years and on the 1976 Dearborn to Philadelphia Tour.  They are easily identified by modern self centering bearings on the big wheel.  Also the front weight is about 5 pounds too heavy... was good to help keep the little wheel down.  The ride was very close to an original.

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:15:35 AM »
Jamie,
I remember photos of you riding a tangential spoke pattern Eagle Light Roadster. I thought all 3 Eagles your dad made were radial spoke pattern Eagle Roadsters? Just curious about the tangential spoke pattern Eagle Light Roadster.
Hoping you kept the Victor adult high wheel tricycle in the family. I remember selling the tricycle to your dad and delivering it to Dennis Woodward out here in California and he sent it back to Gary.
Wasn't long after that when it was fully restored and your mom Doris was riding it. Gary was one of the fastest restorers I knew back then!
Gary was one of the icons of the club and an inspiration to those bringing these machines back to life.
Mike Cates, CA.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:36:49 AM by mike cates »

Bev Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
We have one of the  Eagles that Gary Woodward built nice bike ,
 Craig Allen restored it with  a new 50 in rim for us .