Author Topic: Restoration tip - missing hex nuts  (Read 3412 times)

Craig Allen

Restoration tip - missing hex nuts
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
Sometimes bikes are missing hex nuts and finding a replacement can be a challenge especially if the screw or bolt has odd ball thread sizes such as 1/4"-24, 5/16"-20, 3/8"-20 etc. Compounding the problem the nuts are often larger sizes on the flats as compared to standard size nuts readily available today. Most people don't have milling machines to make their own parts but small machine lathes are much more accessible. The simple solution is to cut the heads off old hex bolts which are often the correct sizes and then drill and tap. New taps and dies are still available today for many of the non-standard sizes.

55inchwheel

• View Profile
Re: Restoration tip - missing hex nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
I agree Craig and I've done this myself using both hex-heads from donor bolts and also new 'hex stock'. I had to make my own 3/8 x 24 nuts for New Departure rear axles, found they are actually 3/8" plus .010. I was able to buy a new tap in the correct size. The way I use it attempting to extend its life, I first drill the hole then tap with a standard 3/8 x 24 tap size, then I tap again with the 3/8 +.010 " tap.
I found some old axles are well used/worn and don't even need the plus .010" nuts, standard 3/8 x 24 nuts will work fine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:09:42 PM by 55inchwheel »