Author Topic: Do you have a trailer hitch highwheel carrier?  (Read 7766 times)

RHowe

• View Profile
Do you have a trailer hitch highwheel carrier?
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Do you have a trailer hitch highwheel carrier? I’m going to have one built and I want to learn from your experiences. What problems have you had using it? What did you like? What did you dislike? Anything you would have done differently? Photos or sketches appreciated but not necessary. (If there’s enough interest this may become a newsletter or magazine article.) Post here or email Robert Howe at oldbike@colddarkforest.net if you want a private discussion. Thank you!

Craig Allen

Re: Do you have a trailer hitch highwheel carrier?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
There was an article in the May 1998 issue of the Wheelmen magazine on building a highwheel bicycle rack. I've never used these types of bicycle carriers before as it is an invitation for disaster. If your vehicle gets rear ended, the bike gets wiped out. (It has happened) The few times I've transported highwheels via automobiles, I had a large inner tube on the car roof and tied the bike down. Personally I prefer using pickup trucks as transporting is so much easier plus it offers some measure of protection for the bike/bikes in case of an accident.

David Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »
As you say it does happen. I got rear ended last summer with 2 1890,s bikes on my bike rack. Was not a good day. One bike is being repaired the other hoping to find another frame. I did make out okay with my insurance . Also had 3 other bikes in the rear of my Rav4 and they where okay . Also no blood which was the good thing.

Greg Barron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:08:23 PM »
I have a bunch of pictures of carriers that customers have sent in to be posted on my website in the customer picture section. Go have a look, might help. www.hiwheel.com

carsontorpey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
A friend built a carrier for our high wheels. The wheels rest in a tray. A verticle bar rises only as high as the crank of the bike. Remove a pedal, then bolt the crank arm to the post. Use velcro to secure the wheels. (the rear wheel can jump out if not secured)

DelombardR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
Son-in-law and I built one with square tube into the receiver and a cross-piece channel for wheels to rest in. A vertical brace with angle cross-piece at nearly the top of the forks. This was all welded and is one piece. I use a locking pin when installing it on the car.

Foam pipe insulation is installed on steel pieces where the bicycle is nearby. Also, a piece of foam insulation is put in across tire/rim in the channel to avoid tire shifting sideways in channel.

I use woven nylon bicycle toe straps to hold my bikes on my rear rack.  One such strap on fork at top cross-piece. One strap on each wheel in channel. One on backbone to the upper cross-piece.  One strap on a angled cross-brace to the front wheel to keep it from turning.

Does this bicycle make my car look small?

A few years ago, though, I did buy a new high wheel carrier - a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country.  I put it inside. If too much other stuff is inside (e.g. wife's modern tricycle), the high wheel goes on the rear rack.  I have loaded two safeties, a Fairy trike, AND the 56" Expert inside along with exhibit material for events.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:20:05 PM by DelombardR »

RHowe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:16 PM »
Craig - thank you for locating that Wheelmen article. I have that issue but I completely forgot there ever was an article about racks. However, I'm looking for less of a trailer and more of a hitch-mount rack where the bike is perpendicular to the car rather than parallel.  DelombardR and Carsontoropey- your racks sounds like the kind I want to make. Thanks for your comments. Greg - you have a lot of photos on your site! I'm slowly going through then to find the ones with racks.

All: I have used the inner-tube-on-the-roof method but without a roof rack the straps to hold everything in place chew up the door seals. (I went to the 2002 meet that way.) As I've gotten older the Expert I've had for the last 40 years seems to have gotten much heavier as I try to lift it; thus the desire for a rear hitch mount. 

Regarding accidents: I've never been rear-ended, but I have forgotten (once!) that I had the high wheel on the roof when I went into the garage. I slightly bent the handlebars that day.

Decades ago I had a VW Bus that I could squeeze the bike inside, but now I drive a Honda Fit. I miss that VW bus but not all the problems that came with it.

Anyone else out there with a carrier? I'm open to all comments and suggestions.

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 05:35:28 AM »
I probably posted this on the previous Wheelmen website of my self designed carrier.
No problems encountered for decades for high wheel to safety sized bicycles. I even transported antique motorcycles on it.
It assembles and breaks down easily by hand with no tools needed since all pieces are hitch pinned together so it can be put into your vehicle when you are riding at a remote location and also know that it will still be there when you return!
Your bicycle is merely nylon strap tied to the cross channel at the bottom of the wheels and around the frame to the upright for safeties or to the foam sleeved height adjustable top cross bar.
Making carriers from heavier wall thickness square steel tubing and channel keeps them from bouncing and vibrating so much when traveling over bumpy roads.
Email or call me personally for details if photos are not self explanatory. I can email a full materials list and how-to's that I have documented as well.

Mike Cates, CA.
(760) 473-6201
cates0321@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:49:29 AM by mike cates »

Russ Bartley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »
I made a Bike Carrier without doing any welding.

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 02:43:34 PM »
Richard,
Is this your carrier and previous automobile my daughter took a photo of while traveling? I don't see the diagonal bracing though. Must be a Wheelmen as it is an original antique bicycle. Can't make out the yellow and black lettered license plate. If not Richard's, who claims it? I did send some photos of my design carrier to someone years ago and maybe it is that person?
Mike Cates, CA.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:49:14 PM by mike cates »

55inchwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
built mine for nothing except the time to wire-feed weld the square tubes from a 'loft bed' I got at the local recycling center. I built it on receiver hitch bike carrier tongue. the only thing I don't care for is, it rocks towards and away from the car when driving on rolling surface. I made a stabilizer bar to go from the minivan spoiler to the hiwheel handle bar to keep it in check. When the temperature gets above zero I'll put it on the minivan and submit another photo of the highwheel in the carrier.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:01:05 PM by 55inchwheel »

DelombardR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 11:44:37 PM »
Mike,
No, that is not mine.

Richard,
Is this your carrier and previous automobile my daughter took a photo of while traveling? I don't see the diagonal bracing though. Must be a Wheelmen as it is an original antique bicycle. Can't make out the yellow and black lettered license plate. If not Richard's, who claims it? I did send some photos of my design carrier to someone years ago and maybe it is that person?
Mike Cates, CA.

mike cates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
Works with a 1889 50" Eagle roadster as well.
Mike Cates, CA.