Author Topic: Wanted Woman's Small Frame 1890-1900's era Bicycle Most Any Condition.  (Read 2887 times)

Tyson Brown

• View Profile
I am looking for a turn of the century woman's bicycle with a short frame preferably 15"-17" inches from center of crank to top of frame seatpost tube. I might even consider an 18" frame but no larger than that.

I would prefer a bicycle in good complete condition but will consider most anything that meets the frame measurement requirement.

I do plan to attend Copake NY and Memory Lane OH, and AnnArbor/Saline MI swap meets in April this year so if you have something that meets my requirements please let me know.

email: year1890@aol  dot  com

Paul Rubenson

• View Profile
Would you consider a juvenile bike?  My daughter has an interesting 16" frame Clipper with 24" wheels.  I'd have to ask if she's willing for us to sell it.  She is now a grown teenager and too tall for it.  The bike is very original and ride-able.  She had it at numerous Wheelmen national meets.  It is from the 1920's, with a New Departure Model C brake and single-tube tires on striped crescent steel rims.  Its original two-tone paint is burgundy/green.  The nickel plating is good.  The frame height is exactly what you want, but this bike is small in all dimensions.  So I don't know if it is suitable for a small adult woman, if that's what you need.

Paul Rubenson

• View Profile
If you'd consider a real project, I also have a very small adult ladies' frame from about 1894.  Very early.  It's not a complete bike, but I collected enough parts to start a project.  The frame is already stripped and straightened.  To make a safe rider, the frame probably still needs annealing and/or reinforcement.  Those early drop frames had weak geometry, and this one needed a lot of straightening.  I would have to take inventory of what all I have for it.  I know there is the frame, a fork, bottom bracket, seat post, and a suitable chain wheel.  It could be a start.

Tyson Brown

• View Profile
Paul, Thank you for your reply. I believe the juvenile bike may be overall in other dimensions smaller than what I am looking for considering an adult plans to ride it. I also think I will also pass on the 1894 project bike for the moment, I have found a bike which may work for my purposes. If for some reason the bike I found doesn't work I will be in contact to discuss your bikes further. Thank you, Tyson